Clear your mind and energize the body in an active weekend ascending on a route in Retezatul Mic. We climb with snowshoes through the hibernal forest and then through the alpine gap to Piatra Iorgovanului (2014m). On the top we have a spectacular perspective over the snowy peaks of Retezat, Oslea Peak, Țarcu and Godeanu Mountains, but also the distant Parâng! Sunday morning after breakfast we continue exploring nature with an easy hike to the Valea Marăii waterfall.
Give yourself a healthy gift and spend the weekend connected to nature, in a friendly environment, with cool people and spectacular winter landscapes!
Difficulty level: Medium. This tour is suitable for exercise and nature lovers, but also for those who want to experience a mountain outing in safe conditions. With the right equipment, the route can also be done by a person with no experience in winter mountain trails.
Period: 10 - 12 February 2023
The reservation of the place is made by paying an advance of 100 lei
Meeting place: Cheile Butii cottage, Hunedoara county, Saturday 9:00 a.m
Minimum number of participants: 6 people
✔Saturday: At 09:00 a.m. we meet at the Cheile Butii cottage. We drive for 10 minutes to the Câmpusel cabin, check the individual equipment and then start the ascent through the forest. We cross the dense conifer forest, then the juniper forest bent by snow and then the alpine gap to Piatra Irgovanului! We enjoy the spectacular scenery from the ridge after which we descend to the cars and finish the day with a story in the lodge.
Route duration: 6 - 7 hours
Difference in level: ~ 800 m
Route length: ~ 10 km
✔ Sunday: After breakfast we walk an easy route to the ice falls on Valea Mării with impressively beautiful winter landscapes. We cross the canyon to the ice curtain, more than 25 meters high.
Route duration: 2-3 hours
Difference in level: ~ 100 m
Route length: ~ 3 km
• Mountain boots for winter - with thick sole, waterproof material, thermally insulated
• Snow guards
• Thick trekking pants or ski pants
• Down jacket or ski jacket
• Wind stopper
• Body blouse (made of material that manages moisture well, e.g. merino wool)
• Waterproof gloves
• Hat & Buff
• Backpack 20-30 liters (ideally with waist belt) & cover
• Sun protection cream
• Bottle of water, thermos with hot tea
• Trail food
For your safety it is very important to have the right equipment for walking in the mountains in winter. If you do not have some of the equipment items mentioned above, please contact us so we can find a solution.
The tour includes:
- Mountain guide in the field
- Advice on the choice of equipment before the shift
- Collective safety equipment
- Professional snowshoes in case they are needed
- Advice and permanent feedback during the tour regarding the correct use of the equipment, as well as the analysis of the situations encountered on the route
The rate does not include:
• Meals, transport, accommodation
If you're from Timișoara and don't have transport, give us a sign and we can help you
1. We reserve the right to change the tour schedule depending on weather conditions or any other factor that could jeopardize the safety of participation.
2. For accommodation, you cannot contact to stay together with the same accommodation unit, or you can look for another preferred option if you can
3. In case you have any questions or need additional information, give us a sign and we can advise you on both equipment and tour logistics.
4. Minimum group to take the tour: 6 people
5. Maximum number of seats: 14. Seats are reserved by paying an advance of 100 lei
6. Registration deadline: February 15, 2024, subject to availability